Saturday, October 19, 2013

It's Witchcraft... Or maybe it's not

I've had a lot of trouble defining myself on a spiritual and religious level in the last several years. I'm loosely attached to a Pagan group in the area, and depending on the day, I might describe myself as an atheist Pagan, a Pagan skeptic, a just-plain-Skeptic, or even a hard, big-a Atheist. Part of me wants to believe in something, in a magic and a spirit in the world. I'd like to believe that something in us goes on beyond this world and echoes into another. And on those days that I hold to anything in myself, it's the magic in the world that speaks to my soul. Certain spells and divinations echo in my heart, giving me strength as others draw strength from their own gods and holy books and words.

Most of the time, though, I can't give that any credence. Because something different speaks to everyone. Because it's all just feelings. Because no truly scientific evidence of anything has been found. Because there's a better explanation for all of life and death, and the scientist in me says there's nothing out there.

So, is it a war of feeling versus mind? Feelings are also an artifact of mind, after all. We're wired on some level to believe. But believing... What has it ever really done for us?

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment