Tuesday, August 13, 2013

If I knew then...

Warning: spoilers ahead if you somehow haven't seen Big.

We've all thought it. But I was listening to Big: the Musical last night, and I've been considering something that's always bothered me about that story: how do you just go back?

I mean, really, how do you live with an adult's authority and autonomy and experience an adult relationship and then... just live with 13 and middle/high school drama and parental authority and everything that comes with that?

I mean, I guess I see it, in some ways. You go back to the freedom of no bills and no decisions, you go back to another x years with your parents or grandparents or both around... There's a lot to gain, and your losses are temporary. And you go back to do it all with a bank of adult experience and knowledge, a huge advantage. But you're also set apart, aren't you? Isn't it hard to be the odd one out, the only teenager with your experiences?

I don't know, man. Maybe if I could do it all from then, I should, but would I? Probably not. And if I'd grown up suddenly then, would I go back? That's harder, but I still don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment