Saturday, August 17, 2013

Game night

I was going to take a quiet night and read, but after dinner, Chris randomly started dealing cards. We played a hand of garbage cards with no real objective, then decided we should get around to one of the card games we've had sitting on the shelf forever. We've been meaning to try both Quao, by Wiggity Bang, and Gubs, by Gamewright.

We broke out Quao first, and let me just say this: it's rated teen to adult on the box, and you can have a lot of fun with it with your older-but-less-than-teenaged kids as a family game - but I bet it's a lot more fun as an adults only party game. Either way, it's silly, almost ridiculous fun, and in the right crowd, I can see it getting a little raunchy.

After one full game of Quao, which D won, he was a little burnt out on cards, so Chris and I decided to tackle the slightly more complicated Gubs. It's rules-heavy and the first read-through was a little daunting, but once we got into playing, it wasn't especially difficult. It's a lot of fun and involves a little more strategy and planning than other games, and as luck would have it, we nearly ran all the way through the deck on our first playthrough (the length of the game is randomized by marker cards in the deck, and we hit the last marker on the penultimate card).

As game nights go, I don't know that I'd recommend these two games in combination, but I'd recommend Quao for lighthearted, wacky party fun, while I'd recommend Gubs for a quieter, more serious but still intense good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment