Thursday, July 18, 2013

Queen of the DVR (No Longer)

So, a while back, we ditched our cable TV service. Mostly, it's been more pro than con: we save a lot of money (a slightly higher bill because we upgraded the cable internet, plus $15.98/month for Hulu Plus and Netflix, minus a huge chunk for cable TV, DVR, HD service, etc., has been a net savings of over $100/month), we spend less time vegetating in front of the TV without thinking about it (we might do it occasionally, but we're more mindful about it), and we've found some gems of older shows that we'd missed to catch up on that we're watching, separately or together as a couple, when we do want some TV time. Right now we're loving Breaking Bad and I'm liking The L Word. And I know I'm behind on the whole Orange is the New Black thing, but I'm going to rectify that ASAP. So, yeah, we have ourselves a Roku 2 and some spiffy streaming accounts and that should be enough for anyone, right?

Only... maybe not. I mean, there are some real upsides to doing it this way. All our TV is a la carte and on demand and works with my schedule, which is perfect. Here's the thing. I miss my shows. But I never had time to watch my shows when I had them. There were a lot of shows I wanted to watch and maybe 3-4 I did, so with cable, I had all kinds of a DVR backlog all the time. On the bright side, I'd then have four or five episodes of something to watch if I was in the mood for it on my day off, which was especially great when I had a Key and Peele marathon queued up. The only things that didn't get backed up more than an episode or two were King of the Nerds, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, and Inkmaster. 

Then again, those five shows are half the ones I'm sad about missing, anyway, and the other half are on premium channels I'd have to pay extra for. I'm looking at you, Starz, HBO, and Showtime, and you can consider this open notice that I'd consider paying for a premium service that enabled me to stream your content without locking it behind a cable gateway, but that I'm unwilling to subscribe to a cable service to access your services and will be waiting for DVD access to the same content.

No comments:

Post a Comment